[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rantAuthenticitypolice

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Mon Feb 7 12:29:20 PST 2005

Oh Jeeze this is the second place that this subject has come up that I read.
The Rialto has basically discussed nothing else for the past few days, and
as I said there, I will repeat here.  The problem is not whether a person is
as authentic or more authentic than you are, the problem is HOW the comments
or suggestions are phrased.  Yes, if I had worked hard on something and
someone rudely put it down because it wasn't as authentic as they thought it
should be, I would be upset, but if they were only offering suggestions of
alternate or more period ways to do it, as long as they weren't rude about
it I would be appreciative.  As has been stated both in this list and on the
Rialto, there are polite ways to offer suggestions, and rude ways to offer
suggestions and the polite way is the better of the two.  Often the problem
is also not in the way it was offered, but also in the perception of the
person who is upset.  If for example they have already dealt with someone
who was rude, they may see rudeness in all suggestions or comments
regardless of how politely they are proffered.  This is human nature.  I
won't say that there aren't rude people who seem to enjoy putting others
down, I have personal experience with those type of people, but with those,
you just ignore them and go on, because they are just looking for a reaction
to prove them right.  In my experience, most people who are called
Authenticity police are actually individuals who are just extremely excited
about their subject and don't always think about how something sounds before
they say it.  Their intentions are good, they just occasionally forget that
they are not talking to others with the same excitement for the subject
being discussed.

Elizabeta of Rundel