[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rantAuthenticitypolice

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 12:48:11 PST 2005

--- Lisa <silvina at allegiance.tv> wrote:

.  In my experience, most people who are called
> Authenticity police are actually individuals who are just extremely excited
> about their subject and don't always think about how something sounds before
> they say it.

I wish my experience was similar to yours.  In my own experience, 'Authenticity Police' seem to be
working from a 'holier-than-thou' mindest, which I find despicable, and which is why the term has
gained a negative connotation.

I take criticism very well, if it is constructive AND backed up with explanation and action.  What
I do NOT take well is someone standing over me wearing a pair of sunglasses, and ridiculing my use
of Doc Martins on the battlefield.  And don't try to CYA by giving me some clap-trap about how you
*have* to wear them because the Tetracyclene you are taking for your Cystic Acne makes you
sensitive to sunlight.  That just makes things worse.  It's almost as bad as someone on this list
trying to justify the use of Corn Starch in a recipe, because they are alergic to wheat gluten,
but still looking down their nose at someone else because they used lemon juice instead of verjus.

If you camp in a nylon tent, you've got no room to criticize anyone, for anything, at any time.
The same holds true if you wear any piece of garb, no matter how small, which was not made of
period fabrics, in a period manner.  It really does not matter *how* the person speaks to you in
this case... it's a matter of *if* the person speaks to you.  People who live in glass houses
should not throw stones.

Now, if someone has their own ducks in a row, and wishes to offer up advice to me on a particular
subject, then I *may* listen to them.  If they are 100% authentic in every aspect of their SCA
life, then I *will* listen to them, and thank them for taking the time to offer their insights.

Everyone else can keep their distance.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.