[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rantAuthenticitypolice

patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca
Mon Feb 7 13:00:43 PST 2005

The thing that saddens me the most with the so-called 'authenticity police' is
the facts that eventually, has as been mentioned, it will only discourage
people from involving themselves further, for fear of negative criticism.

We have few budding cooks over here, we're tending to them very attentively, in
a way, but I am not forcing the authentic stuff on them just yet... tackling on
a feast is such an ordeal to begin with, newcomers should have some slack at
first to get used to the kitchen rhythm and stuff...

I am helping them as much as I can when they do decide to go in for period
dishes and stuff, and I offer possible substitutions for blatantly non-period
dishes. But sometimes it's better to have period-oid food than no food at all.
I personally will try as much as I can to provide documented, period dishes
(when possible). But my standards are mine, and I don't believe they have any
use if I force them on others. The only result I'll get is, I'll be the only
one left to cook.

Petru