[Sca-cooks] Dimensions

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 7 20:38:10 PST 2005

A finger (length) is 2 nails or about 4.5 inches.  A nail is 1/20 of an ell.

A finger (width) is roughly 3/4 of an inch.  A thumb (width) is roughly 1
inch.

The Roman foot is roughly 11.7 inches.  A competing measure, the natural
foot is 9.8 inches.  The modern foot of about 12 inches began to be used in
England some time after the Conquest and has roughly remained the same since
1300.  However, since the book is using fingers and hands, it is likely that
the foot mentioned is the manual foot, a Northern European measure
determined by two hands on a shaft, thumbs extended and touching, estimated
at 13.1 inches.

In the German states, the foot varied.  The Viennese foot is about 12.4
inches, the Rhine foot is about 12.36 inches and the Bavarian foot is about
11.6 inches.

Bear