[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rantAuthenticitypolice

Anne juliane.rose at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 18:55:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:30:26 -0800 (PST), Huette von Ahrens
<ahrenshav at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > The attitude expressed in
> > the above paragraph, I think you will find, is
> > one of
> > the root causes for people disliking
> > 'Authenticity Police' to begin with.
>
> I wasn't going to answer your post because
> sometimes it seems as if with your rude behavior
> you are deliberately trying to cause flame wars.

I don't find his behavior rude -- he's saying what he thinks, and last
time I checked -- we STILL have that freedom.  Perhaps we all ought to
actually read through somebody's entire post without projecting our
own emotions and experiences into it ... then take a nice long time to
attempt to reach some understanding of that perspective ... THEN
respond.  We have all had experiences with this -- good or bad -- but
that's no reason to start flinging flaming bags of poo at each other.

> However, I am going to answer this comment with
> the exact wording from Corpora, page 13, of the
> July 2004 revision, which states:

> of the Society as a whole.  We are supposed
> to be studying and recreating the Middle Ages and
> Renaissance.  Our public banquets, our public
> tournaments, our public coronations should be
> our best attempts to recreate what our focus
> interest was about.  I am not saying that they
> should be absolutely perfect down to the last

Again, there are different levels of involvement, of interest, of
time, of financial resources at work here.  Whatever level of
authenticity ANYONE chooses to pursue is that person's privilege --
and it really shouldn't put anybody's panties in a wad because our
expectations are different.  This is about doing something to enrich
our own lives, and hopefully someone else's along the way, isn't it?

Juliane Rose