[Sca-cooks] Perioid versus period

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 8 21:24:14 PST 2005

Saint Phlip queried:
So, if you can, could someone please explain to me why the period aspect of
the food is so scary? I'd be scared if part of the cooking required me to
sit in the oven with the food, or anything else of a dangerous nature- cook
it in the middle of an interstate during rush hour maybe ;-) But, dealing
with the recipes is the easy part...

You bring up perfectly logical questions, Phlip, for someone with an open
and curious nature.  However, I deal with people every day (culinary
students included) that absolutely would not consider eating something
"strange", and the things that people think are strange completely boggle
the mind.  I had a woman turn down hot apple cider as a strange and
potentially harmful substance at a demo we did in October.  I mean, I can
see being wary of the gingerbrede, but hot apple juice?  Is that a foreign
food?  So, I think part of the insight you are looking for is not "why are
people afraid of period food?", but "why are people afraid of trying any new
food?".
Christianna
up trying to put together a class on plate presentation for tomorow at
8:30AM.