[Sca-cooks] Perioid versus period

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Feb 8 21:35:49 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Oh Phlip, you KNOW that period food was really all overspiced brown
> glop that no modern person would actually want to eat!!
>
> ;-)
>
> Capt Elias

Brandu, I swear, we must hang out at different rumor mills ;-) I had never
run into that discription of Medieval food until I started hanging with this
crew- the closest we came to that was when, in a discussion between me and
my mother, she mentioned that she thought that the reason many Medieval
recipes overcooked foods (in our opinion) was because, due to the nature of
many hunts, they ran the poor beasties all over Hel's half acre- by the time
they brought the critter (usually boar or or deer) to bay, the critter was
full of adenaline and fatigue poisons, and extra cooking was necessary to
deal with that, unlike with a planned slaughter of, say, cattle or sheep,
where obviously you don't want the critter upset, because it's a pain to
chase them all over the barnyard or equivalent. There's certainly some truth
to that ;-)

Interestingly enough, modern folk at slaughterhouses have finally started to
figure out that you don't want the critter upset at slaughter, and are
finally taking steps to see that the slaughter pens are pleasant for the
critters to take their last walk in- but I digress.

But, it never occurred to us that the nobility would be fed nasty brown goo.
Poor folk, yes- they'd eat whatever they could manage to find, but rich
folk? It's human nature to want the nicest of everything they can afford,
and if you're not only rich, but have the power of life and death over your
servants, you're gonna damn well be eating the best food you can manage to
acquire and concoct.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.