[Sca-cooks] Re: pots and pans

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Wed Feb 9 03:11:17 PST 2005

Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> [2005.02.09] wrote:
> that the processes are kinda backwards for making the two materials- cast
> iron actually has more carbon in it than steel does, but the effect is to
> make it very brittle, thus unsuitable for armor and weapons.

I know.

> If you want it to be period, don't use plain iron plate. Find real wrought
> iron- the stuff with the silica inclusions.

How available is that? I know that the only thing standing between me
and a set of pots made from list-legal (or slightly thinner) plate is
2-300 US$ each, while I have no idea what getting them made from the
real stuff would entail.  Any idea what a pot (or three) of the real
stuff would entail cost-vise?  I *know* I have no chance of making them
myself.

The Al pots is one of the major irritation spots in my camp right now.
They work kind of the same, look ok from a distance, but they *aren't*
the same, and *I* know it. That, somewhat better tents[1], and perhaps a
site where we can dig firepits rather than using above ground pans
(Scouts that are worried about the state of their lawn, for <mumble>
sake!) would help up the look.

> There's a lot of difference between real wrought iron, pure iron, and
> mild steel, in terms of their characteristics.

I know, it's just that plate is quite a bit closer than the current pots
(Al, Boy Scout set) and that I know I can get it.

Actually, for a cookpot, how big are the differences?

> If you want to look at some cooking gear from roughly 1000
> CE, take a look at the Mastermyr find. Not only is the book on the find
> available, but a friend of mine has it webbed (with permission) at:

I've got the book...

> http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/ImageLib.html

but a webbed version is nice to know about as well.

UlfR

[1] Modernish tent canvas in viking tent, I'll have to figure out how to
fit the exapanding familly into something soon; one 3,5 x 2 m viking is
barely enought for 2 adults and 2 children, and no fun. I'm thinking
about a yurt; sort of long stretch plausible for my persona, space for
everybody and somewhere to sit if the weather is shitty (and cook in the
rain as long as the fire marchals don't see me; I know WTF I'm doing
with campfires). Still hurts to break the late 10th century "purity".

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Listen to the fool's reproach! It is a kingly title!  -- William Blake