[Sca-cooks] Re: arch stones - ot

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Feb 9 08:50:06 PST 2005

Devra at aol.com wrote:

Thanks for your response.

>         Is this also referred to as a key stone?
> (The one that holds the arch together...)
>
>      Devra, wanting to be informed
>
> Devra Langsam
> www.poisonpenpress.com
> devra at aol.com

The keystone may be part of an arch, but is not structurally
necessary.  When there are an even number of stones in the
arch, there is no keystone at all.

You should look at the following URLs to see the various
shapes and names within an arch.

There are several parts to an arch:

Springer -- lowest stone in the arch to transfer thrust
downward.
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/springer.htm

voussoir -- above the springer and transfers thrust downward
and to the side
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/voussoir.htm

Keystone -- actually decorative
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/keystone.htm

Parts of an arch
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/arch.htm

Arch shapes
http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/archtable.htm

Here is the whole thing assembled in stone
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/ArchNeat.jpg

Here is an explanation of the structure of an arch
Arches One Part Two
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/archb.htm

Brantacan is a very good site with 350 Pages and 4000 Images
http://www.brantacan.co.uk/index.htm

Jack or Flat arches are also interesting.  In the following
page, search for 'granite jack arch'
http://www.pyromasse.com/auvergne.html

Note the way the bricks that are adjacent to the stones of
the 'granite jack arch' are cut -- you see same shape as the
springers in the other diagrams and images.

This site must have reorganized yesterday ...
Cradley Brick Co. - Arch Bricks
http://www.cradleyspecialbrick.com/arch_bricks/arch_bricks.html

You will see 2 pictures of an arch in the last page of my
renderosity gallery.
http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Skew arches are even more interesting ... but I need to go
out for breakfast first.  Maybe later.  <g>

Any questions?

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick