[Sca-cooks] Citrus, Scurvy and The Royal Navy

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 10:44:03 PST 2005

So the other captains might have refused because (1) spending money for citrus would cut down on their profits for the voyage, and (2) it was experimental anyway whether scurvy would be cured by doing this.

An off the wall thought (and a bit cold blooded, I admit) - what sort of incentives did the captains have to bring back a full crew?

Cordelia Toser
Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
> > Perhaps his subordinate captains refused his suggestion that they try
> > the juice?
> >

> > Thorvald
>
> I'm wondering why they would do that? Unless they had heard rumors that
citrus juice caused some
> kind of ill-effect, or something of that nature, I can't see why they
would have refused to try
> it. I mean, what did they have to lose? If it worked, great!! If it
didn't, it's no
> matter....business as usual I suppose. It couldn't hurt, right?
>
> Interesting.
>
> William de Grandfort

Probably, if they refused, it would come down to money. Why would these
skippers necessarily want to spend money out of their pockets on a "maybe"?
Keep in mind, they worked on shares, usually, and if the ship owners didn't
approve of a particular expense, then it would come out of their own
profits.

Saint Phlip,
CoD