[Sca-cooks] Citrus, Scurvy and The Royal Navy

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Feb 9 10:44:43 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> So the other captains might have refused because (1) spending money for
citrus would cut down on their profits for the voyage, and (2) it was
experimental anyway whether scurvy would be cured by doing this.

That's my thinking.

> An off the wall thought (and a bit cold blooded, I admit) - what sort of
incentives did the captains have to bring back a full crew?

> Cordelia Toser

None, that I'm aware of- their concern was to maintain sufficient crew to
get where they were going and back. A few missing bodies would mean fewer to
pay at the end of the voyage, unless there was a set "crew" percentage.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.