[Sca-cooks] An idea, was Scary Period Food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:44:15 PST 2005

Actually a number of the later texts from the 16th
century are already online.

Here's an easy way to find a number of them--
Professor Martha Carlin's Home Page  http://www.uwm.edu/~carlin/

Early Modern Culinary Texts 1500-1700 are listed at
http://www.uwm.edu/%7Ecarlin/#EARLY%20MODERN%20CULINARY%20TEXTS%20%281500-1700%29

Historical Culinary & Brewing Documents Online
is a project to assemble a network and list which culinary
materials are already online. Find it at:

http://www.thousandeggs.com/cookbooks.html

Glossaries are also online as Huette already suggested
Here is the urls for those glossaries that I
mentioned:

http://www.thousandeggs.com/glossary.html#top

http://www.godecookery.com/glossary/glossary.htm

Huette

Also a number of us have access to OED and other dictionaries,
so if you encounter a term or word, please ask.

Does this help?

Johnnae

----------
An idea... snipped
Maybe it would help if we got together a file, site, leaflet, something
of some of the more straightforward later recipes. Perhaps include a
chart with temperatures and measurement equivalencies. A few basic
techniques (almond milk,anyone??) that they might not be used to. A
glossary. (
Does it help to at least list the likeliest sources?

Now - how we would accomplish this is another whole issue - but it helps
if we have a direction...

AEllin