[Sca-cooks] An idea, was Scary Period Food

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 11:54:11 PST 2005

An idea...

I have some books from the turn of the last century that belonged to my
grandmother - so I've encountered butter the size of an egg, and Quick
vs. Moderate ovens, etc. And,in some of the later ones, charts so that
you know how to set your Modern Gas Oven to bake something you've made
for years by feel, or how to use your Modern Measuring Cups to make Aunt
Hattie's recipes.

The Late Period (and/or just OOP) English books - Digby, Markham, and
Platt - would all have been perfectly comprehensible to Granny.  They
give (sometimes rough) measurements for most ingredients, suggestions
for heat level, estimates of time... And most of the food isn't too
unfamiliar. And the English hasn't changed as much...  most people have
at least encountered Shakespeare and the King James Bible, so it
shouldn't be terrifyingly unfamiliar. (None of those ayren. I admit it
took me a while to turn them into eggs...)

Some of the other later books might help, too. I haven't done much with
Welserin, but it seemed pretty clear - and most of us use it in
translation, so language isn't an issue there. Other 16th (or 17th)
Century suggestions?

Maybe it would help if we got together a file, site, leaflet, something
of some of the more straightforward later recipes. Perhaps include a
chart with temperatures and measurement equivalencies. A few basic
techniques (almond milk,anyone??) that they might not be used to. A
glossary. (Or at least, pointers to all the above - places to find
things.) It would still be a jump for someone used to Betty Crocker, but
not a blind leap over a chasm. A place to point people to.

And I think a key part is to *not* include our redactions. Some of these
recipes are the ones that were done early in the Society, and now people
tend to teach the redaction that is widely accepted, rather than the
original. Which,I think, ends up teaching "See, someone who knows more
than you do did this already, you don't have to worry about it" instead
of "See, this really isn't hard... what can you do with it?" (I love to
see things like the Cheese Goo competition - how did that turn out,
anyway?) I know that there are sites with recipes and suggestions - but
something like this, geared to the absolute beginner? Who might not
already be an accomplished cook, but still someone capable of getting
three meals a day on the table?

Some people really do need precision, until they are more used to
cooking in a style. I remember making my husband follow recipes
precisely - he'd try to cook without them, because I did, but, since he
hadn't a clue, he was producing some pretty inedible glop... (You don't
want to know what happens when you put equal amounts of stuffing mix and
water in a saucepan, and then simmer for 10 minutes... and then pour
gravy over it. OK, most of you can probably figure it out, even though
he didn't...  that was the day I rebelled.) After a bit of experience,
he got pretty decent,and was eventually able to improvise a little. But
it took practice *and guidance*. Mind you - he'd fed himself for years...

Geertruyt? You're our obvious Courageous Transitional Cook - would
something like that help you? Anyone else in the same or similar
position? (I know you're out there...*G*) Anything we should add or
leave out?

Does it help to at least list the likeliest sources?

Now - how we would accomplish this is another whole issue - but it helps
if we have a direction...

AEllin