[Sca-cooks] An apology to one member and notification to the others

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Wed Feb 9 14:59:30 PST 2005

> This morning I posted something to the list,
> basically about courtesy and the recent
> nastiness on my list. To do this I replied to
> a post and then erased the contents instead of
> just composing a new letter and addressing it.
>
> Well, it appears that it only got sent to
> the one person. I don't even know who it was.

It were me.

> So, if you recieved a nastygram from the ELA,
> please do not take it personally. It wasn't
> directed specifically at you and, you can even
> post it to the list as it was supposed to have been.

> I do apologize to this person if I caused
> distress that wasn't meant to be.

Te nada. I thought it was full of sound advice. And, as requested, here it
is (I'm leaving off the headers and such to save space for the Digest
readers. - Hrothny)

****
Certain discussions have reach uncivilzed behavior.

Basically a couple of people have turned into the elitist,
rather sneering examples of the types every says they
dislike.

It's very easy to read a post, get upset and fire something
nasty back. Which, of course, leads to someone else
getting upset and firing back with commentary just
as biting.

Folks. I want everyone to walk away from the keyboard.
Take a breath. Write a nasty response if you want to
and then delete it. Wait a while and re-read the post
then decide if you have to respond. If you do, remember
that this is a public list and if you make disparaging commentary
or act superior it makes you look like a jerk. You don't score
points, people don't high-five you. You embarass yourself,
your "opponent", the members of this list, and me.

I feel the current debates are fine. They are things that
need to be discussed. But I'll be damned if I'll tolerate some
of the nasty sniping remarks that have been fired from many
sides. People who I normally respect and enjoy reading have
turned arrogant and condescending. Some to the point where
I'm about to unsubscribe so they can calm down for a bit.

Don't make me do that. State your points. Agree to disagree
if necessary. BUT ARGUE NICE. This is debate, not campaigning.

If you just have to fire off something snippy, do it in private. I
don't want to see it on my list.

Failure to obey this fairly simple and standard rule will get
you temporarily unsubscribed.

Gunthar
List Administrator
****