[Sca-cooks] dealing with mundane cooks

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 20:44:48 PST 2005

Tell "Bobby" something like this...

Look, the basics of cooking a good meal are the same in the SCA as they
are in a professional kitchen.  You have to clearly identify your
purpose, whether it's hors d'oeuvres for 80 or a Tudor feast for 180.
Then you have to plan your menu, keeping in mind customer expectations,
timing, location, resources, staff, and budget.   A cook who did not
consider all of these elements would be irresponsible.    Someone who
cooks SCA feasts is usually working with much more limited resources
than a professional cook would have.  We have tight budgets, volunteer
staff (of varying skill levels), and often less-than-wonderful kitchen
facilities.  You balance your goals and your standards against your
resources, and you make decisions.  Sometimes that means buying pre-made
items, or cooking certain items ahead of time.  A good cook --
professional or not -- has to be flexible.

I can't believe that "Bobby" has never served something that was cooked
elsewhere.  Does bake his own bread?  Make the pie *and* the ice cream
that goes on top of it?  Grind his own mustard?  Professional cooks take
shortcuts when they need to.  They might take different kinds of
shortcuts than SCA cooks, because they're working in different
circumstances, but they take them.

I went to a feast once that was cooked by a professional chef.  He said
that one of the menu items had been purchased ready-made.  Because of
mundane time pressures, he had been unable to make it himself.  He
considered this acceptable, because the food was hand-made at the store
where he got it, and the quality was up to his standards.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net