[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Feb 10 01:47:31 PST 2005

At 06:48 AM 2/9/2005, you wrote:
>There *are* modern versions/substitutes you know, and I'd feel quite fine
>to adapt a medieval mindset for that.  If they can take what they've got,
>and fashion "substitutes" for butter and cheese and milk, why can't we?
>We've got dairy-free margarine, and non-dairy creamer for beverages
><<shudder...I drink it black>>, and even non-dairy cheeses. I'm sure there
>were folks over the years who were more, or less, strict in their fasts....

Well, I thought about going with the soy substitutes, or Mocha Mix, or
whatever, but that's kinda not my point. Besides the fact that I can't
stand most of the dairy substitutes we have (Just think of the weeee
tiiiiny milking machines that they have to put on those soybeans to milk
them!), they really didn't have Cremora down and the Stop Ye and Rob
Market. :-) I've been reading Lenten recipes, and the pertinent parts of
_Fast and Feast_ and got down some of the stuff on Lenten and Easter stuff
from the Ceremony and Ritual seminar I took.

I'm thinking that if I do it, I'd like to do it right, and to eat, well,
what would have been available to Elaine in February and March of 1405. (Or
close, at least- the fact that we can get produce year round I might allow
for.)

>I like the idea of doing it Easter Week.
>Hmmmm.....
>Wanna get together (so to speak) and work on this?
>--maire

The week before Easter- that might be doable. That gives us a few weeks to
figure out what to eat. And... to enjoy while we can the cheese and butter
and ham and roast and...  you get the picture :-D)

Ok, Me and Maire. Anyone else want to do Lenten food the week before Easter?

'Lainie