[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Feb 10 10:55:16 PST 2005

At 05:53 AM 2/10/2005, Cadoc wrote:
>I'm in as well...what are the timespan and guidelines again?

and was added:

>I'm in as well as well... Lent started yesterday. Tomorrow is the first
>Friday in Lent.
>
>The previous posts demonstrated some variety based on time period,
>location, and orthodoxy. Is there a foundational subset of Lenten
>restrictions we can use as a base? My personal interests are the
>observance of Lent in England and Scotland around 1450.  I will also be
>looking for material on Lenten observances from 8th through the 11th
>century in Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. Pointers and references always
>welcome.
>
>Aoghann

and:

>I'm much earlier, currently it's 1205 in England, although I'm considering
>striking out for the School of Salerno in Italy to see if I can get the
>doctors there to admit another woman to their program.
>But, if the group goes for more of a 14th-15th century feel, that's fine
>too.
>Christianna

That makes... 6? w00t!

I don't think that there really are guidelines... If there were, I would say-

1. If you can, make it appropriate to to your person time and place. Fairly
easy for me, as I'm right in the middle of a LOT of good cookbooks (1405,
French with ties to England). Not so easy for earlier folks, like
Christianna. So maybe... appropriate to your persona ~OR~ as a fallback,
14th-15th c or later, Western Europe. That should leave room for everyone!

1 1/2. I'm going to try to use only period substitutes, not modern. Up to
each of you as to how strict you'll be.

2. One week only, From the morning of Palm Sunday, until we break the fast
at Easter.

3. This is supposed to education and fun. If it becomes neither, don't feel
bad about dropping out.

4. And be sure to share recipes, ideas, etc!

Does this work for everyone?

'Lainie
-Cat Wrangler