[Sca-cooks] Late 14th - early 15th c. Welsh

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Fri Feb 11 04:51:44 PST 2005

>Can someone point me in the direction of some possible recipe's for
>this time period.

A booklet exists titled "Bwydd y Beirdd" ["Food of the Bards"], which
purports to be medieval Welsh recipes.  When I finally got hold of a
copy, it turned out to be medieval Welsh textual glosses describing
food and/or feasting, with accompanying recipes from medieval English
sources <sigh>

Further, on Dec. 27, 1997, Mistress Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
wrote:  "I have a couple of very short cooking treatises in Welsh
from the 16th c., along with my own translations....They're mostly of
interest as curiosities -- they give no serious insight into Welsh
cookery, being fairly obvious translations of some unknown English
work of the time."

Just a couple data points from
Rufina Cambrensis
(posting from John/Steve's account)
--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu