Savory Toasted Cheese! + Re: [Sca-cooks] Late 14th - early 15th c. Welsh

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Thu Feb 10 21:19:48 PST 2005

At 07:46 PM 2/10/2005, you wrote:

>Can someone point me in the direction of some possible recipe's for
>this time period.
>
>Many thanks!
>--
>Renart (the fox) of Berwick

I don't know of any recipes or cookbooks specific to Wales. But there is a
funny tale about Welsh eating habits:

"I fynde wryten amonge olde gestys, how God made Saynte Peter porter of
heven and that God of his goodes, soone after his passyon, suffred many men
to come to the kyngdome of heven with small deservyng, at whiche tyme there
was in heven a grete company of Welchemen whiche, with theyre krakynge and
babelynge trobelyd all the other. Wherfore God sayd to Saynt Peter that he
was wery of them, and that he wolde fayne have them out of heven. To whom
Saynt Peter  sayde, "Good Lorde, I warrant you that shalbe shortly done."
Wherfore Saynt Peter went out of heven gatys, and cryed with a loude voice,
"Caus bobe," that is as moche to say as "rostyd chese," whiche thynge the
Welchmen heryng ran out of heveyn a great pace. And when Saynt Peter sawe
them al out, he sodenly went in to heven and lokkyd the dore, and so
sparryd all the Welchmen out.
         By this ye may se that it is no wysdome for a man to love or to
set his mynde to moche upon ony delycate or worldly pleasure wherby he
shall lose the celestyall and eternall Ioye."

         from A Hundred Merry Tales (London: printed by John Rastell,
1526), no 78. As repeated in Fast or Feast, page 27.

And yes, the spell checker in my Eudora is having convulsions here...

'Lainie