[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Feb 11 13:17:31 PST 2005

At 02:00 AM 2/11/2005, you wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:44:32 -0600, Stefan li Rous
><StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > Phlip asked:
> > > On a more serious note, though, does anybody know when the later,
> > > strict
> > > observances of Lent came into being?
<snip>

>mm, take a look at Thomas from Aquino, he's responsible for a lot of
>stupid christian ideas :)
>
>(but very much chance not for this, as the muslims also have a version
>of lent so it dates back to the jewish faith prolly.
>
>Finne

I am not sure how you meant this, Finne, but it does not come across well.
There are a few of us out here who do not find Aquinas or Christianity in
general to be 'stupid'.

Thomas Aquinas was a 13th c. Dominican scholar who was one of the most
preeminent theologians and philosophers of the Middle Ages. His _Summa
Theologica_ is one of the most important theological treatises produced in
the time period. I have seen nothing however, in his writings that would
indicate that he had anything to do with policies regarding Lenten observances.

The Church (in particular the Roman Catholic Church) was the single most
powerful influence on life and society in the Middle Ages, in a nearly
universal sense. Dismissing it or ignoring its importance because of our
modern sensibilities will significantly impair our knowledge and
understanding of our forebears.

'Lainie