[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Feb 12 03:52:43 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >I've always thought the prohibition on diary was, knowlingly or not,
> >because young cows are born in the spring (unless man interferes) and the
> >milk is needed for the young.
>
> Funny how that works, eh? Same with sheep and goats. IIRC, March is
lambing
> season, and you have hugely gravid mothers or mothers with newborns,
> neither of which should be milked.
>
> Johann, what about chickens? When I was a girl our neighbors usually let
> the hens set in the spring, but I don't have any idea if that was a period
> practice.
>
> I'm not sure that a 'virtue of necessity' is necessarily what Lent is
> about, but if it happens out that way...
>
> 'Lainie

Actually, a good part of the reason for having young of any species born in
the spring is to give them as big as possible a leg up on dealing with
winter- the older they are, the more likely they are to survive.

Allowing hens to set in the spring means that you have a chance of some of
the chicks producing eggs by fall, and your young cockerels will be of a
size to be eaten as well.

Also, most chickens cease laying entirely in the winter- it's too much extra
energy outlay during a difficult time of year. There are now modern breeds
that will lay in the winter, but even they cut back, unless they're in a
strictly regulated environment, where they aren't exposed to natural light-
think the laying batteries- there's a reason for them, aside from
covenience. For one thing, temperatures and light exposure can be strictly
controlled to an ideal for laying.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.