[Sca-cooks] Re: pasta question

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:57:22 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:15:10 -0800 (PST), Alexa
<mysticgypsy1008 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am new to the list, but have been in the SCA for
> about 7 years.  I am fairly new to worrying about
> documentation of food at feasts but have a good
> backround in modern cooking.
>
> So, posses the questions.
> I have found research material holding up that pasta
> is period, however in more than likely a simple shape
> not the complex ones we have now.  I also have found
> things showing simple mixed greens as a salad with an
> oil/vinegar dressing.
> Is there anything that documents something like a
> pasta salad where the oil/vinegar dressing is applied
> to pasta?
>
> Thanks,
> Lady Alexandra (Alexa)
> formerly Barony of Nordwache, Caid
> NOW Barony of Marinus, Atlantia

Yeah, you tend to make simple shapes when you have to make
them by hand, using a rod or wire, and you have to make hundreds
of them.......or thousands.

Platina documents vinegar and oil in use on vegetables, but not on
pasta. , notably in the section on cucumbers and then carrots which
come to mind immediately (and two of my favorite redactions to use).

The roman noodles recipe specifies broth, or butter and chese and
"spices."  It is another of my favorites. Having handmade noodles for
90, you appreciate simplicity quickly.

My new copy of Platina is on the way and will be here monday *cheers*
as well as Martino :-)  I'm familiar with Platina, but not Martino directly.

I doubt Martino will have any cold noodle with oil/vinegar recipes as he
is the source for Platina's contemporary recepies of the same time.
(they were part of the same entourage at some point)

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson