OT: Food In Art, was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Perioid versus period

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 12 06:01:43 PST 2005

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:

>Many years ago my girlfriend and I went to Santa Barbara for a day
>trip, and happened upon a small
>gallery which was featuring an art exhibit called "Paper, Paint,
>Meat, Cake".  Intrigued, we went
>inside.  The exhibit was comprised of various works of art based
>upon the four forms in the title.
>  There were various pieces which used paper of all types in a wide
>array of interesting ways.
>There were semi-abstract painted pieces (mostly furniture and Trompe
>L'oi [???? sp]), but there
>were also pieces 'painted' entirely with Royal Icing and other cake
>media (pastillage, marzipan,
>etc).  But, the most incredible display was the Meat.  Not real
>meat, but paintings of meat.  And
>not just edible meat...one of the paintings was called Uteral
>Garland, and from a distance it
>looked just like a garland of flowers.  When you examined it
>closeup, though...wow.  My favorite
>piece in that collection, however, was simply called 'Rashers'.  It
>was bacon.  And it was painted
>in impeccable detail.  Fascinating.

Also many years ago, when there used to be a department store chain
named Alexander's in the US, a local store a few blocks from my
parents' house had some children's artwork in a window display. It
appears they had gotten kids from one of the local grade schools to
make small, maybe 8.5 by 11 inch, paintings of stores. A child's
celebration of retail.

One of them depicted a shop with its wares on display in the window
under a sign reading, "Car, Cake and Gun Store." I realized
immediately that whoever this kid was, he or she was bound to be a
huge success, because (s)he had his/her finger precisely on the pulse
of American consumerism. Every American has got to want to shop at a
Car, Cake and Gun store, because no store, in prior history, has
addressed the basic needs of the average American more completely and
specifically.

I want to own a Car, Cake and Gun store.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04