[Sca-cooks] Perioid versus period

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 21:18:14 PST 2005

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> I'm hoping that the next time the things I will be able to eat are liver
> and mutton--

I'm not very big on Mutton, but I can eat the heck out of some Lamb!!!  Once it gets to the mutton
stage, it starts to taste like mud, and I'm not much of a dirt person.  Same reason I can live
without catfish.  If mutton had a snorkel, it would be a bottom feeder.

If you don't have an aversion to lamb, either, then ignore the rest of this post.  If you do,
however, you should try it braised in rosemary, garlic, a pinch of crushed red chili, and great
lashings of Guinness Stout!!!   MMMMMmmmmm.  I make this at Darkwell almost every year.  You may
find that the Guiness is mellowed quite a bit by the garlic and rosemary (not to mention the lamb
juices.)

Liver, on the other hand, only needs caramelized onions and rashers of bacon.

Which reminds me...and this is only partially off-topic.....

Many years ago my girlfriend and I went to Santa Barbara for a day trip, and happened upon a small
gallery which was featuring an art exhibit called "Paper, Paint, Meat, Cake".  Intrigued, we went
inside.  The exhibit was comprised of various works of art based upon the four forms in the title.
 There were various pieces which used paper of all types in a wide array of interesting ways.
There were semi-abstract painted pieces (mostly furniture and Trompe L'oi [???? sp]), but there
were also pieces 'painted' entirely with Royal Icing and other cake media (pastillage, marzipan,
etc).  But, the most incredible display was the Meat.  Not real meat, but paintings of meat.  And
not just edible meat...one of the paintings was called Uteral Garland, and from a distance it
looked just like a garland of flowers.  When you examined it closeup, though...wow.  My favorite
piece in that collection, however, was simply called 'Rashers'.  It was bacon.  And it was painted
in impeccable detail.  Fascinating.

Anyway, that's it.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.