[Sca-cooks] Re: Lenten Question

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 16:29:25 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:26:47 -0800 (PST), she not <atamagajobu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Various Christian cults had objections to some fast rules, and it's usually possible to see some underlying economic factors in what rules were practiced. For instance, Lent conveniently falls at the season that would otherwise put a tremendous strain on stores of  preserved meats, but fish are abundant and can be kept longest without spoilage. Someone else already lined out loopholes and exceptions to the fast requirements- reading Margery of Kempe you'll find a distinction between following standard fast rules and genuine sacrifice that's pretty blatant in Lenten menus.  Platina, btw, can give you some prtty good recipes, even though he comes off like a health food nut.
>
> Gisele

Platina was a health nut, the name of the book is _On Right Pleasure
and Good Health_
and it is credited with being one of the first diet/health books
written from a more modern
seeming poiont of view.  That being food affects your health.

And yes, I meant by the church splitting that the mandated head of the Roman
approved church was the Bishop on Rome.  After the Western Roman Empire
imploded, the real physical split begain.   But, yes, I am aware of the various
sub-cults and "heresies" that existed in pockets and regions.  Still hasn't
changed today.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson