[Sca-cooks] eels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 13 22:55:55 PST 2005

Bear replied to me with:
> There are both freshwater and saltwater eels.  The freshwater eels are
> generally the ones of commercial importance.  Freshwater eels spawn at
> sea,
> but live and grow in rivers until the migrate out to sea to spawn.
Now that you mention it, I do remember that there are both freshwater
and saltwater eels. I hadn't realized though that the freshwater eels
needed to spawn at sea. This means you can't just indefinitely raise
them in a pond as you can catfish. The pond simply becomes a holding
area which you must replenish with new eels from the sea. Do eels swim
up stream seasonally similar to salmon?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas