[Sca-cooks] online resume was So you want to be a Medieval orRenaissance Cook?

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Feb 15 10:30:49 PST 2005

Anne wrote:

> IE 6 ... but our tech guys were just out to adjust my
> computer's attitude ... so it should be on its best
> behavior now.

Reminded of a nursery rhyme Re: a little girl with a curl
... who had difficulty distinguishing Good and Bad
I have *no* idea why I thought of that just now.  <g>
For additional material, please see Ghostbusters I

> Hmmmm ...Martin?

There are *two* kinds of problems ...

(1) I am not seeing the medievalbeads.com website.

IOW, this link does not work for me -- not at all.

http://www.medievalbeads.com/evergreen/companions/johnnae.shtml

I used SamSpade.org to find out more about the
medievalbeads.com domain name;

SamSpade.org tells me that the IP address is 216.22.30.74

This link works for me:

http://216.22.30.74/evergreen/companions/johnnae.shtml

-- but I shouldn't (and neither should anyone else) have to
replace the domain name with the IP address.

... That's what DNS (Domain Name Server) are for!

> Any luck with the links I sent that wouldn't work for me?

(2) Yes ... they don't work.  All of the links you mentioned
to me are improperly coded in

(2.1) Here is the HTML code for the first link:

French & Italian Herb and Spice Mixtures </a></p>

Some translations ...

	%7Eiasmin	~Eiasmin
	&		&
	%20		space

That trailing space in this part is BAD:

Please make this change and it will work for everyone:

BTW, the comcast 404 page showed the trailing %20 in the
location bar ... where any Geek would have seen it.  <g>

(2.2) Also trailing space

A Late Period Scots Luncheon</a>

(2.3) Also trailing space

Sixteenth Century Italian and Spanish Tomato References </a>

(2.4) Also trailing space

"Sugar Icing".
SUGAR ICING</a>

(2.5) A different error ...

Some notes on sugar icing in late period and some post period</a>

In this one, "html" is spelled as just "ht"

This is correct:

(2.6) Trailing space in this one:

Sources of Recipes for a Revel </a>

(2.7) Trailing space in this one:

A Review of A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye </a>

(2.8) Trailing space in this one:

[<a href="http://arts.atenveldt.org/newsletters/jul2002.pdf%20">PDF</a>]

> Anne
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:08:13 -0500, Elaine Koogler
> <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Johnna Holloway wrote:
> >
> > > Well they did work. I went through and made sure.
> > > This is one reason I don't maintain a web page.

But then you miss out of so much fun.

> > > Let me check  with the webmistress and see what
> > > has happened to the links.

The URLs of the articles in MKCC ar OK

Johnnae,
I'll send you a corrected page.

> > > All the MKCC articles can be reached through
> > > http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/mkcc/index.html
> > > Search under my name-- or just google me--
> > > 390 for johnnae llyn lewis
> > > Sorry about that.
> > >
> > > Johnnae

> > I got to it just fine...maybe it's your browser?

No, the page with the list of links has many coding errors.

This is why we have standards ... and why browsers should not
be designed to correct the links in a web page -- it becomes
more difficult to recognize the error and/or time lost
discussing whether the error is real or not.

> > Kiri

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick