[Sca-cooks] Reproduction pottery

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 17:53:58 PST 2005

Given that so far I have spent nearly 10 hours online trying to even find pictures or diagrams of medieval cooking ceramics I figure this is at least going to result in a class at pennsic.  It took me the longest time to get past the majolica and find "common ware" (try googling Italian pottery to get an idea of what I mean).  Currently I have some good leads in "Archaeologia Medievale", an Italian medieval archaeology periodical, but am waiting on ILL to come through.  The problem I have encountered so far is that the archaeologists name for the pots does not tie with the cooks names for the pots in period.  From the form I believe than an "ollo" is the same as a pignatta, but am waiting on confirmation.  Oh and the papers are written in Italian. Right now, from the little I have managed to retrieve, I figure that the title of the class for Pennsic will be something like "ceramic pots and the foods cooked in them from Medieval Italy".  I plan on working up at least one copy each of
 a tegame, pignatta, testo and tortiera and working out a dish that could have been cooked in each.  I promise to send you the class notes when I'm done, as well as posting them on my website (it will be a while, trust me on this).  I love it when my two passions come together so neatly, plus I've been wanting to do a class like this for a while.

Helewyse (confirmed pottery and cooking nut)

Helewyse commented:
> I want to make a "testo" for pennsic. This is the pie pan
> with lid that is used in the Italian cookbooks to cook pies in the
> fire. I want to see how it will work.
When you do, I hope you will write it up. I think I've heard this
"testo" mentioned before on this list but I don't know much about them.
This is just the sort of "practical archeology" first-hand article I'd
love to have for the Florilegium. And I think such articles can be good
for the SCA, both inside and outside the organization.

Stefan
--------