[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 10:05:56 PST 2005

So, i've been thinking over my participation in the week of Medieval
Lenten Fasting. I've decided i should focus on Mediterranean recipes,
as i have a Mediterranean persona and am personally happier with
Mediterranean foods in general than those of more northerly climes.

While my Maghribi Muslim persona with a Zoroastrian Persian mother is
from the early 10th century, my research tends to jump through
several centuries, so i won't limit myself to a specific time period.
But i will try to make each meal based on one source or sources from
the same time period.

I think i'll also poke through the SCA-period Near and Middle Eastern
sources i have for suitable recipes from that corpus, although i know
i have no evidence for what Christians in those places ate during
Lent. I do know that in modern times, while there are special holiday
foods, most of the diet is rather similar among religious groups.

Anahita