[Sca-cooks] eels

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 12:40:37 PST 2005

Selene wrote:
>Many very delicious fishes and other seafood are revolting looking in
>their natural state.  Who first looked at a scary pinchy lobster and
>said "I bet them's good eats?"  Then there's the John Dory fish.  FUGLY
>but transcendantly tasty.  <http://thefoody.com/basic/fishjl.html>

Johh Dory doesn't look ugly to me, just interesting.

Now, here's a creepy sea creature - the hagfish. It was formerly
thought a relative of the eel, but it isn't. It has no jaws, only a
partial skull, no other bones, only cartilage, produces prodigious
amounts of protective slime, and it can tie itself in knots and untie
itself. Fascinating...

Muslims sects are divided on whether or not it is permitted to eat
hagfish. It's definitely not Kosher.
http://oceanlink.island.net/oinfo/hagfish/hagfish.html

This page includes a link to a page with a "hagfish cam"...

Anahita