[Sca-cooks] Alton Brown News

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 18:15:20 PST 2005

My comment was supposed to be a joke.  Which is
why I mis-spelled kitchen and put in the smiley
face.

Yes Route 66 has changed considerably since
the Good Old Days [tm].

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> It is the sin of pretentiously bad taste in a
> place that supposedly makes
> things that taste good.  A kitchen don't need
> kitsch, it needs cookin'.
>
> In terms of Route 66, it's all those ersatz
> eateries cluttered with junk
> memorabilia trying to stake a claim on the
> nostalgia for the Mother Road for
> tourists who never ran it before it was
> decommissioned in 1985 and never had
> the pleasure of roadhouse steak in Flagstaff or
> fried clams at the Midway
> Howard Johnson's (the furthest west at the
> time) on the Turner Turnpike
> where Route 66 and what would be part of I-44
> met.

I am not sure where you are refering to as
Route 66 meets the I-40 at the California/Arizona
border.  Up until 1926 the furtherest west
you could go on Route 66 was the corner of
Broadway and 7th in Downtown Los Angeles.
After 1926, Route 66 got extended to the corner
of Lincoln Blvd and Olympic Blvd, about a mile or
so shy of the ocean.

> I remember the heyday of the rattlesnake
> museums and the petting zoos,
> Whitten Bros., crazy cement buildings, and post
> cards with cowboys riding
> supersized jackalopes.  Local joints serving
> bad food, good food and great
> food.  Fanta root beer, Coca Cola (with real
> sugar), cream sodas from local
> bottlers.  It was a great place to be a kid.
>
> Now it's mostly chains and mediocre local
> places trading on a past that died
> in the late 70's.  The Rock House in Stroud is
> still with us, but I haven't
> eaten there in a few years, and I know the menu
> changed after the tornado
> ripped out the Outlet Mall.  And there is
> Anne's Chicken Fry House (OKC),
> which moved to easier to reach digs and added
> memorabilia, but still turns
> out a decent chicken fried steak.  But the
> railcar diner, which turned out a
> decent breakfast for a good price, is long gone
> as are a bunch of cafes,
> greasy spoons and road houses I ate at from 5
> to 30.

I live just a mile from the Historic Route 66.
There are some places still around that have
been there since the beginning:

Santa Anita Race Track, Arcadia
The Aztec Motel in Monrovia [The outside of this
motel is phenominal and now an historic
landmark.]
The Golden Spur Restaurant in Glendora is now
an upscale restaurant.
Pinnacle Pete's Steak House in San Dimas.
The Buffalo Inn in Upland still sells buffalo
burgers.
The Madonna of the Trails Chapel in Upland.
Sycamore Inn,  Route 66 Visitors Center and
Museum, Dolly's Diner in Rancho Cucamonga.
Bono's Restaurant in Fontana.
Wigwam Motel in San Bernardino.
"The true first and original McDonalds was at
14th and E St., now an unofficial museum. The #1
McDonalds on the other end of Route 66 is Des
Plaines Chicago was the first franchise, don't
let corporate McDonalds fool you, this is the
real first McDonalds hamburger restaurant.
Operated by Maurice and Richard McDonald. The
McDonalds brothers also had other restaurants
(even before this one)." In San Bernardino.
Cajon Summit Inn in Cajon Summit.
Another Route 66 Museum in Victorville.
El Rancho Motel in Barstow, made from old
railroad ties.
The restored Harvey House (Casa del Desierto) in
Barstow. Another Route 66 museum is located there
as well.
Stone Hotel in Daggett.
Bagdad Cafe [the one from the movie] in Newberry
Springs.
Withing Bros. gas station also in Newberry
Springs.
Old Ludlow Cafe in Ludlow.
Old Trails Inn, formerly the Palms Motel, in
Needles.
El Graces Hotel, an historic Harvey House, in
Needles.
66 Motel, also in Needles.

> > How can you have too much kitsch in a
> kitschen?
> > :-)
> >
> > Huette

=====
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
they shall never cease to be amused.