[Sca-cooks] Alton Brown News

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 17 05:14:52 PST 2005

> My comment was supposed to be a joke.  Which is
> why I mis-spelled kitchen and put in the smiley
> face.

I got the joke.

>> fried clams at the Midway
>> Howard Johnson's (the furthest west at the
>> time) on the Turner Turnpike
>> where Route 66 and what would be part of I-44
>> met.
>
> I am not sure where you are refering to as
> Route 66 meets the I-40 at the California/Arizona
> border.  Up until 1926 the furtherest west
> you could go on Route 66 was the corner of
> Broadway and 7th in Downtown Los Angeles.
> After 1926, Route 66 got extended to the corner
> of Lincoln Blvd and Olympic Blvd, about a mile or
> so shy of the ocean.

The Turner Turnpike runs from Oklahoma City to Tulsa.  It is one of the
earliest four lane, controlled access highways in the central US.  It
parallels Route 66. became the replacement highway, and was integrated into
I-44.  Howard Johnson got the contract to run the restaurant at the
mid-point of the turnpike, accessible from Route 66, and it was a big hit
when it opened.  The Midway Restaurant is now a McDonalds.

I-44 and Route 66 met I-40 in Oklahoma City and continue east to Joplin and
St. Louis.

> I live just a mile from the Historic Route 66.
> There are some places still around that have
> been there since the beginning:
>

>> > Huette

Route 66 places may have a better survival rate in California, not that we
don't have a number in Oklahoma.  Unfortunately, many of the kitschy
kitschens I've encountered turn out culinary memorabilia with cute names
that doesn't live up to the grub from the glory days.

Of course, there are exceptions.  Margaret reminded me just last night that
Xeno's in Rolla, MO, is a Route 66 motel and restaurant without the kitsch
where you get white tablecloth dining with good food for a reasonable price.

Bear