[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 17 15:19:02 PST 2005

Professional bakers generally used flat rolled dough or trappes to produce
pies.  A trappes are baker's pans coming in a number of sizes and depths for
preparing torts and pies.  Professionals wouldn't waste time trying to
convert a pot into a mold.  Having the tools to do the job is why they are
professionals.

As for coffins, the term is used for the pie shell, but it an also mean the
dish or mold used to shape the pie shell.

Raising a coffin means to build the pie shell without a supporting dish, but
it doesn't necessarily mean they were made without shaping tools.

Bear