[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question, and a frivolous answer

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Feb 17 18:03:45 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Past couple of times I've been at the grocery, I've been reading labels
> even more than I usually do. The most interesting things come up. For
> instance, checking the labels on bread- many brands have whey in them, >
which would leave them off of the Lenten diet (most also have high-fructose
> corn syrup, which is most annoying). There's lard in my favorite brand of
> refried beans.

Refried beans are supposed to have lard in them- that's what gives them the
creamy texture. However, they're easy enough to make, and you can substitute
in the fat of your choice.

 Crackers and cookies have any number of things such as milk
> solids, whey, eggs, etc. I was about to reach for a bag of noodles,
> thinking they'd be good 'filler'- and then remembered that they're made
> with eggs (duh!).

Like refried beans, you can make your own noodles- again, they're easy
enough to make- just don't add eggs.

> Think of it as a vegan diet and you're pretty well there.
>
> 'Lainie

I'm thinking you're making things harder on yourselves that you need to.
Just plan on making most of your foods from scratch. It'll improve your
cooking skills, and you might just discover you like thewm better than the
commercial stuff anyway. I think it was wgg-rolls that really got my
attention, years ago, when I tried making my own foods, being too broke to
buy the commercial stuff.

Mean time, you guys do your Lent thing- I think I'm going to make myself a
batch of fudge ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.