[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question, and a frivolous answer

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 05:19:09 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:55:42 -0800, Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:

> Essentially animal products- meat (both mammal and poultry), dairy
> products, and eggs.

Fish is cool?

> Past couple of times I've been at the grocery, I've been reading labels
> even more than I usually do. The most interesting things come up. For
> instance, checking the labels on bread- many brands have whey in them,
> which would leave them off of the Lenten diet (most also have high-fructose
> corn syrup, which is most annoying). There's lard in my favorite brand of
> refried beans. Crackers and cookies have any number of things such as milk
> solids, whey, eggs, etc. I was about to reach for a bag of noodles,
> thinking they'd be good 'filler'- and then remembered that they're made
> with eggs (duh!).
>
> Think of it as a vegan diet and you're pretty well there.
>
> 'Lainie

Refried beans isn't even remotely right without lard,
but you could make it from scratch with shortening,
I guess...or oil (spare yourself the trans fats).

Hrm, well I cook nearly everything from scratch anymore
anyway.  I use a variety of grains for basics already.
About the only thing different from me is a lack of
meat and yogurt.

I thought sugars were proscribed too?

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson