[Sca-cooks] recipes without honey

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 17 18:39:28 PST 2005

If it is necessary for diabetics to eat a single sweet dish at a feast, then
there is a problem with variety in the menu.  I've found that a well
constructed menu addresses most dietary problems by providing enough choice
that people can avoid what they can't eat.

A second possibility is to reduce the amount of honey or sugar.  Most
diabetics can tolerate a small amount of sugar, especially if it is offset
by protein.  Knowing that there are diabetics in the group, the recipes can
be altered to meet their dietary needs.

A third way is to provide them with a version of the dish made with
artifical sweetner rather than honey or sugar.

I regularly use the first method to handle a full range of dietary problems
and I've used the other two at various times to provide diabetics with an
edible feast.

Bear