[Sca-cooks] recipes without honey

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Feb 17 19:33:39 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I have yet to hear of a diabetic having problems with
> spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or cloves which
> we know are your more sweet spices.
>
> just my 2 cents worth
> Alexa

Well, they're considered sweet spices because we usually use them in sweet
dishes, not because they're intrinsicly sweet themselves ;-) If you look at
the Medieval corpus, they are as frequently mixed with savory foods as with
sweet- medieval folks had an entirely different idea of what went with which
than modern folks do.

For fun, try a dash of cloves in your meat stew. I often use cinnamon- just
a dab, to brighten things up. I don't add sugar to my eggnog, either, and
nutmeg doesn't make it sweet. And, look at how the Asians use ginger.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.