[Sca-cooks] Re: recipes without honey

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Thu Feb 17 22:09:59 PST 2005

Okeydokey, time to weigh in as a diabetic:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR KEEPING US IN MIND!  [grin]

I can live with sugar, in moderate quantities.  What I'd like to see,
however, is being careful with how much non-fiber carbohydrates are
served.  If every item is heavy in "impact carbs"  (carbs that are
mostly sugar or starch with little or no fiber content) then it's just
as bad as serving me all sugar.  Don't stop serving the
high-starch/high-sugar items, though.  Just don't make*every* dish full
of them.

Now, I'm not talking about filling me up with fats and proteins,
either.  Just balance the meal.  Give me a variety.  I'm responsible for
balancing my intake.  Your best bet to satisfy me is to provide me with
a variety of choices for me to construct *my* meal plan from.  By doing
so, you'll also provide the rest of your guests a variety of items for
them to choose from, as well.  Everybody wins.

In other words, don't cater just to me.  Think about how every person
out there will have different likes/dislikes/allergies/dietary
restrictions/etc.  You cannot satisfy every person with every dish, no
matter how hard you try.  So aim at providing enough of a variety that
nobody goes away hungry and limit that variety enough so that you don't
go away stark raving mad or the event steward goes away with a busted
budget.  [grin]

By all means, if it's within your budget and your time constraints,
create a dish that is a "sweet treat" for the diabetics.  You'll have
every diabetic you present the dish to grateful for the simple fact that
you thought of us.

BTW:  I have found that my blood sugars are much improved, even when
eating an elaborate feast, at events.  Why?  I'm much more active
(walking, etc) at an event than I am the rest of the time.  This is
probably a sign from above for me to get up off my tuchis and go exercise.

--Cian