[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Feb 18 04:59:09 PST 2005

Also sprach Nancy Kiel:
>Also, if the pastry is thick enough to stand on its own, you don't
>need a form.

True, but I was just talking about using a form for mass-producing
identical shells somewhat more quickly than you might otherwise. At
least that's the rationale in modern pork pie production when the
wooden block form is used (there are also extremely fancy hinged
molds you can buy for larger pies and pates, but that's not really to
address mass production issues).

The way it works is, you roll your pastry into a smooth ball (having
first determined, more or less, how much you'll need to do the job,
either through past experience or a trial attempt), and then squoosh
(that is a technical term) the wooden block, which resembles a hockey
puck on a stick, with the stick protruding from one of the flat
surfaces, into the dough, which spreads it out and forces the surface
of the dough ball to begin to wrap itself around the block and up the
sides. You then pat the sides, turning the whole thing occasionally
via the stick, a la a potter's wheel, until they come evenly up the
sides of the form, taking on its shape. You have the option of
trimming the sides to smooth the edges.

To remove the dough from the form, you roll it on its edge on your
pastry board, which thins it slightly and, consequently, increases
its circumference and diameter accordingly, which tends to create a
space between the form and the dough (hot-water pastry isn't sticky),
making the form easy to remove with a twist of the stick. The pastry
will also harden pretty dramatically as it cools off.

Now, I have no compelling evidence to suggest that this method was
used in period, nor that anything like a hot-water dough appears
until the seventeenth century, but it's tempting to assume such a
thing could have been done (whether or not it actually was is another
story), since the technology clearly existed for other types of
manufacture.

As for the question of the thickness of the pastry and whether you
need support, it also becomes more stable when the pastry is filled
with something fairly solid, and a lid sealed in place.

Adamantius