[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 18 08:56:54 PST 2005

Was raising a coffin practiced outside of the kitchens of the great
households?  I've seen nothing to suggest that it was a common practice
other than for feasts.  Since inns, taverns and commercial bakers are trying
to turn a profit, why would they use a labor intensive technique that would
increase their costs?   I don't rule out special orders, but that would
require clients willing to spend the extra money (not likely except for
major events).  BTW, general references to raised coffins are more common
after period.  It might be interesting to see if there are any later
descriptions  of how they were prepared.

The idea that manor wouldn't have that size of staff is humorous.  A manor
has the size of staff it needs to maintain the estate.  The household of the
owner of the manor is a different matter.  Households normally had cooks and
bakers in their employ, who travelled with the household.  When the
household was in residence at the manor, the manor staff was attached to the
household, returning to their caretaker status when the household departed.

Professional bakers had molds and used molds and baked the product in molds.
The raised coffin is a different critter.  It's like the decorative loaf of
bread that is carved prior to baking to present an image in the final
product.  The work on such loaves is done freehand with a sharp knife.  I
suspect that the tools for producing a raised coffin were wooden blocks (to
set a curve or an edge) and a sharp knife to carve the decorations.

Bear