[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Feb 19 07:34:32 PST 2005

I am on my way out the door but Markham does include a
"rye paste would be kneaded only with hot water and a little
butter, or sweet seam and rye flour very finely sifted, and it
would be made tough and stiff that it may stand well in the raising
for the coffin thereof must ever be very deep: your coarse wheat crust
would be kneaded with hot water, or mutton broth and good store of butter,
and the paste made stiff and tough because that coffin must be deep also..."

Best edition on pages 96-98.

more later--

Johnnae