[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Sat Feb 19 20:28:45 PST 2005

On Feb 19, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>
>> Source [Liber cure cocorum]: For lyoure best. Take drye floure, in
>> cofyne hit close, And bake hit hard, as I suppose. Thou may hit kepe
>> alle thys fyve 3ere, There-with alye mony metes sere. (England, c.
>> 1430)
>
> Hmmm. In the above instance, are we reasonably sure the coffin in
> question is, in fact, dough? As far as I can tell, this appears to be
> a recipe for processing a thickening starch by baking flour in a
> sealed box or pot of an unspecified nature, but which may be a sealed
> pie crust, which would also make some sense, given the availability of
> the materials in a kitchen. Does LCC (a source I haven't looked at in
> a while) have these two recipes in sequence?

Actually, the recipes do show up one right after the other, but when I
pasted them into the email I reversed the order.  They should have been
presented as:

To keep herb3 over the wyntur.
  Take floure and rere tho cofyns fyne,
  Wele stondande withouten stine;
  Take tenderons of sauge with owte lesyng,
  And stop one fulle up to tho ryng;
  Thenne close tho lyd fayre and wele,
  That ayre go not oute never a dele,
  Do so with saveray, percil and rewe;
  And thenne bake hom harde, wel ne3e brende;
  Sythun, kepe hom drye and to hom tent;
  This powder schalle be of more vertu,
  Then opone erthe when hit gru.

  For lyoure best.
  Take drye floure, in cofyne hit close,
  And bake hit hard, as I suppose;
  Thou may hit kepe alle thys fyve 3ere,
  There-with alye mony metes sere;
  Here endys oure sawce, that I foretolde.

- Doc