[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Feb 19 08:41:12 PST 2005

Also sprach Daniel Myers:
>On Feb 19, 2005, at 1:59 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>>It may also be that large pies, containing birds (as opposed to the
>>custardy variants that may also contain small birds, marrow, etc.,
>>in the filling), were made of tough, free-standing pastry to help
>>get them safely to the table intact, and possibly to preserve the
>>filling for a time (although that really doesn't kick off until the
>>seventeenth century, AFAICT, when you start seeing the pie recipes
>>with "great store of butter" being poured in). I guess there may
>>have been some visual expectation on the part of the diner, such
>>that, when they saw such a large pastry, they expected something
>>like pigeons inside, which is what made the live birds inside so
>>cool...
>
>Depends on what you mean by "kick off".

I was imprecise. By "kick off", I meant, become common (or appear
to), and I was also referring more specifically to pies filled with
fat or butter. Previously, large pies seem more commonly to be filled
with wine syrups and/or custard mixes which would, if anything, tend
to accelerate funkiness in the contents.

I'd also have to consider questioning whether the first two coffins
you mention qualify as pies. Yes, the coffins are made of dough, but
they're not served or presented in the shells, let alone eaten. Even
if the filled coffin doesn't have to be eaten to be a pie, I'd think
this is more a case of a box or can being made of paste. (See later
confit recipes which speak of curing the finished candies in a sealed
metal coffin.) Structurally similar but functionally, the focus is a
little different.

As for your third example, you've got me by 13 years, but this is
exactly the kind of recipe I was referring to. There are a lot of
them in 17th-century sources ;-).

>   Here's two 15th c. recipes and a 16th c. one using pie crusts as a
>preservation method:
>
>Source [Liber cure cocorum]: For lyoure best. Take drye floure, in
>cofyne hit close, And bake hit hard, as I suppose. Thou may hit kepe
>alle thys fyve 3ere, There-with alye mony metes sere. (England, c.
>1430)

Hmmm. In the above instance, are we reasonably sure the coffin in
question is, in fact, dough? As far as I can tell, this appears to be
a recipe for processing a thickening starch by baking flour in a
sealed box or pot of an unspecified nature, but which may be a sealed
pie crust, which would also make some sense, given the availability
of the materials in a kitchen. Does LCC (a source I haven't looked at
in a while) have these two recipes in sequence?

Adamantius