[Sca-cooks] cowpeas?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 20 12:43:50 PST 2005

If it looks like a black-eyed pea, then you are probably correct.  Cowpea
and black-eyed pea are both common names for Vigna unguiculata.

Black-eyed peas were certainly known in Europe in late period and may have
been cultivated by the Romans.  Linguistically, references to "phaseolus"
prior to 1492 are probably to members of the genus Vigna including cowpeas
and yard long beans.  After 1492, the New World beans, which later became
genus Phaseolus, enter the mix and the usage becomes more problematic.

There has been some extensive discussion on this over the years, so I would
say check the Florilegium.

Bear