[Sca-cooks] Re: "Sweet" Pepper?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 21 09:49:37 PST 2005

Greetings!  I had asked:
>At our barony's cooks' guild meeting yesterday someone asked
>what was meant by "a sweet pepper" in the ingredients list of a modern
>Israeli dish (spiced nuts) which included "ginger, cinnamon, cloves and a
>sweet pepper".

Johnnae queried:
>Did the recipe seem to indicate a dry ground pepper? I don't suppose
>spiced nuts call for a fresh one like a red or yellow bell pepper?

No to both, as far as I can tell.  The quote from the recipe is in the
penultimate and ultimate line, so both Madelaine and I figured it was a
spice.  She had wondered about paprika which you and Adamantius suggested.

>If the book doesn't indicate or contain a glossary, one might try paprika
>and see how it works. It does turn up in other spiced nuts recipes.

No glossary.  If paprika does appear in other spiced nut recipes, that may
be what was being called for.  Thank you all for your responses!

Alys Katharine