[Sca-cooks] "Sweet" Pepper?

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Mon Feb 21 09:15:00 PST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:

> Also sprach Elise Fleming:
>> Greetings.  At our barony's cooks' guild meeting yesterday someone
>> asked
>> what was meant by "a sweet pepper" in the ingredients list of a modern
>> Israeli dish (spiced nuts) which included "ginger, cinnamon, cloves
>> and a
>> sweet pepper".  Can anyone help her (and me?)?
>>
>> Alys Katharine
>
> I know you said "a sweet pepper," but I wonder if this is sweet
> paprika...

I've always understood "sweet peppers" to be capsicums that aren't
particularly spicy (e.g. bell peppers), as opposed to "hot peppers".

Several sites on the web seem to confirm this (Google search on "sweet
peppers" as a phrase)

	http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,31,00.html

This may be a regional thing.  I can remember being offered a piece of
"sweet pepper" when I was young and being very very disappointed.

- Doc