[Sca-cooks] Mongol measure?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 12:27:18 PST 2005

Terri Morgan wrote:

>Thanks - that matches what I just told my friend (and I sent him to that
>exact website just now). Here's what he wrote to me:
>
>**********
>I saved this as I thought is was cool, but cannot get back to the website.
>
>" Catch many of the mice of the Hairy Tail (gerbils 1 tan clean), finely
>ground coriander (one liang), onions (ten stalks), spices (five ch’ien).
>Apply [coriander, onions and spices] uniformly to ingredients and roast. One
>may dress the hairy mice in a thick flour with fuang and steam-roast until
>done in a cage; this is also possible. One may dress the hairy mice with
>liquid butter combined with flour, and brazier cook in a brazier; this is
>also possible.”
>... “MIce of the Hairy Tail meat is best in fall, when they are fat for the
>long sleep.  It is rich, brown and crackles when fried. It supplements the
>center and augments ch’i. It is beneficial eaten broiled dipped in salt
>broth water and roots. Of the white foods best with airag."

[snip]

I Googled some of the phrases in this recipe, and came across a SCA
website that has an almost identical recipe, except that the meat is
identified as Eurasian curlew, which is a bird. The original is
attributed to "Soup for the Qan".
http://www.geocities.com/kaganate/food.html

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain