[Sca-cooks] "Sweet" Pepper?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 17:46:39 PST 2005

Bill Fisher wrote:

>"Israeli sweet pepper" or "Israel sweet pepper"  takes me to either
>paprika or sweet bell peppers.  I had to drag myself out of the
>"look for medieval spice reference mode."
>

>Cadoc

I did an advanced Google search, looking for "sweet pepper" on Israeli
websites.  One that popped up was a site on Havdalah, the ritual that
concludes the Jewish Sabbath.  Part of the ritual involves smelling a
box of sweet spices.  This particular site suggests "cloves or sweet
pepper".
http://www.shabat.co.il/howto/appendixa.htm

Although the site above does not recommend cinnamon, many others do.
Spices mentioned elsewhere are cardamon, allspice, nutmeg, cardamon, bay
leaves, and myrtle.  I'm wondering if "sweet pepper" might be allspice.
Its common name in many languages is some variant of "pepper".  The
Hebrew name is Pilpel angli, which means "English pepper".
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_noframe.html?Pime_dio.html

The Spanish name is "pimienta dulce", sweet pepper (not to be confused
with pimiento dulce, paprika).  It is perhaps worth pointing out that
some Jews speak Ladino, a language which descends partly from Spanish
(as Yiddish descends partly from German).

I don't know that the "sweet pepper" of Havdalah is the same as the
"sweet pepper" of the spiced nuts recipe, and I'm not positive that
either is allspice, but I think it's plausible.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net