[Sca-cooks] inns, taverns and food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 17:53:13 PST 2005

Johnnae replied to me with:
> I have to point out that this book was originally published in 1909
> or 1910, so the information and research dates from that era.
Okay, I didn't realize this, since I can't find my actual copy of the
book and that wasn't noted in my database. Is this a specific concern
on this book or the research of that period, or just a general comment
when dealing with older secondary sources? Unless there is something
better that has come out since then, we may have to use what it has,
although keeping this warning in mind. I do seem to remember this book
being footnoted.

One book that I can think of which falls into the same period is Sir
Ralph Payne-Gallwey's "The Crossbow - Mediaeval and Modern, Military
and Sporting" published first in 1903. Payne-Gallwey didn't have access
to an x-ray machine and couldn't or wouldn't take the crossbows apart
and so some of his details of the internal trigger mechanisms are
wrong. But it is my understanding that this book is still considered
the foremost book on the subject.

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > I can't find my copy right now, but folks interested in this might
> try
> > to find this book:
> > Inns, Ales and Drinking Customs of Old England
> > Hackwood, Frederick W.
> > ISBN: 1-85170-069-2
> > Texas Bookman
> > 1996