[Sca-cooks] inns, taverns and food

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Feb 22 13:59:27 PST 2005

What I meant by pointing out that Hackwood is old
is just that. It's almost a century old.

There's over 100 that turn up in a search on using
terms England tavern history. 1000 works turn up
under England and tavern. Inn(tavern) is most often seen
by the way in terms of LCSHeadings.

The English alehouse :a social history, 1200-1830 /
Peter Clark   1983
English Book Book xiv, 353 p., [16] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
London ; New York : Longman, ; ISBN: 0582508355 (pbk.)

The English inn, past and present;a review of its history and social
life, A E Richardson, Sir;  Harold Donaldson Eberlein
1968, 1925
English Book Book xi, 307 p. illus., maps, plans. 26 cm.
New York, B. Blom, {this is another older title}

Taverns and tokens of Pepys' London /George Berry;  Samuel Pepys
1978 English Book Book 144 p. :ill. ; 25 cm.
London : Seaby, ; ISBN: 090065242X :

Inns and alehouses of Abingdon, 1550-1978 / Jacqueline Smith;  John B
Carter 1989 2nd ed.
English Book Book 128 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
Abingdon [Oxfordshire, England] : J. Smith, J. Carter, ; ISBN: 0950768014

The licensees of the inns, taverns and beerhouses of Banbury,
Oxfordshire : from the fifteenth century to today /